Sunday, March 1, 2015

Bongos got me like ooo ahh

Predestination- whether God has planned out our future or whether we have free will. Ephesians chapter one talks quite a bit about predestination and gives insight of the subject. Where do you land in the debate and how do you interpret  Ephesians 1:3-14 in light of your position? Well I fall towards the side the we are predestined by God as Ephesians says in chpt 1:5 - he predestined us for adoption through Jesus Christ according to the purpose of his will. The question that I am struggling with though is what about free will? Does he (meaning God) allow us to make our own decisions? Or has he predestined our decisions for us and knows what we are going to do and allows it? Or does he know what we are going to do and yet allow us to do them. Then point back to Ephesians 1:4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and blameless before him in love.- so he already had select few picked out. Does that mean he made the choice of who will follow him or that we made the choice and he knows who we are. After pondering this for quite some time and always wondering about this question I still come away with more questions than I do answers. There is a fine balance but I have not yet found it. I think, that the only way that we will know for certain is when we reach those pearly white gates and ask the creator for our selves. "I'm only human" which in this case, man may not be able to figure out all the answers to the questions we have. No matter how bad we try to. 

1 comment:

  1. You have a good point--some things are beyond our comprehension. I am not sure that gets us off the hook of trying to make sense of these verses though. It sounds as if you are saying both are true, but how they fit together we will never understand--that seems like a good place to start.
    Also, you bring up some good questions in this post.

    ReplyDelete